Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: Dreamology

Author: Lucy Keating
Goodreads Rating: 3.78
Pages: 336
For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.

But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. It turns out, though, that Real Max is nothing like Dream Max, and getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.

When their dreams start to bleed dangerously into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?

I'm going to preface this review with the fact that contemporary romances aren't usually my thing. However, the whole concept of meeting your literal dream boyfriend in real life was pretty interesting.

In fact, the whole dream vs reality thing was the main thing I found interesting. The whole CDD thing and the mystery around it, as well as the obvious mystery of how Alice and Max were meeting in their dreams, was the force that drove me through the book. 

There was a lot I liked as well as some things that irked me throughout the book, and strangely enough the romance in the book irked me more than satisfied me. I'm not a huge fan of the "on again, off again" kind of thing that happened throughout the book while they tried to figure out dreams/reality and all their feelings. I get it can be highly confusing to meet someone you didn't think existed but half the things Max and Alice did, just didn't make sense to me.

For example, when Alice and Max first meet, if I were in Alice's shoes I would not instantly treat Max as if we had known each other for forever. What proof did she have that it was the same person? And even if it was, the idea of that dream person being in the real world would have been too outrageous for me to just act like they knew who I was. This made it hard for me to relate to her.

I'm also not a fan of Max's inability to choose between Celeste and Alice was also irksome. I understand a bit why there was conflict but it didn't stop me from being annoyed with the whole cheating aspect.

It ended with a perfectly/disgustingly lovey-dovey ending (I was actually hoping the whole thing was just a dream haha). Like I said, contemporary romances aren't really my thing and this was heavy on the romance. 

Overall, the book was interesting and had a very unique plot, which I liked a lot. It was just very heavy on the relationship aspect, Max and Alice's feelings for each other, which was cute to a point, but just not my thing. 
The Court's Decision:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...