Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Elemental (Elemental Trilogy #1)

 Author: Antony John
Goodreads Rating: 3.67
Pages: 326
Format: Final Copy

A lost colony is reborn in this heart-pounding fantasy adventure set in the near future . . .

Sixteen-year-old Thomas has always been an outsider. The first child born without the power of an Element—earth, water, wind or fire—he has little to offer his tiny, remote Outer Banks colony. Or so the Guardians would have him believe.

In the wake of an unforeseen storm, desperate pirates kidnap the Guardians, intent on claiming the island as their own. Caught between the plague-ridden mainland and the advancing pirates, Thomas and his friends fight for survival in the battered remains of a mysterious abandoned settlement. But the secrets they unearth will turn Thomas’ world upside-down, and bring to light not only a treacherous past but also a future more dangerous than he can possibly imagine.

I was sadly not thrilled with the book :( I love anything and everything to do with the elements, which is what attracted me to the book in the first place. But for some reason the book didn't pull me in like I expected it to.

On the positive side, I loved the short chapters. Makes the reading seem to go by faster. Also, the mystery as to why the pirates were after the group was enough to keep me from quitting the book but sadly wasn't a huge page turner. The ending was pretty interesting and actually started understanding the elements bit, though am still majorly confused on some details.

On the downside, it seems like the book is a kind of fantasy/dystopian book. I was liking the whole Plague thing but took me a bit to figure out the elements bit and how they connected (I'm still a little fuzzy on the details...).

The really very apparent love triangle between Thom, Alice and Rose didn't do anything for me :/ It seems like the author just threw you in the middle of it without any details and I'm not sure who to root for because I really don't know any of them and just don't care yet. I got annoyed a few times with the flirting between Thom, Alice and Rose... I would think "Just pick one!" many times sadly, but just stop agonizing over how pretty they both are and wondering how they feel... all. the. time.

And with the annoyance... We Get It! Thom is sad he doesn't have powers and that no one will touch him when they clearly want to! There are so many times that this was said and it was just getting old.

So with all the drawbacks, I simply can't get into it. With that being said, PLEASE still give it a try. The bit about the elements and the mystery/ big reveal at the end was pretty interesting.

The Court's Decision:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...