Monday, January 13, 2014

Antigoddess

Author: Kendare Blake
Goodreads Rating: 3.74
Pages: 333
Format: ARC from BEA13


The Goddess War begins in Antigoddess, the first installment of the new series by acclaimed author of Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake. Old Gods never die…
Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.
Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god. 
These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning. 
Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out. 
Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.
The Goddess War is about to begin.


Such a fabulous book. Right from the start you get into the nitty gritty of the on going battle between the gods. I didn't feel confused or out of place, it was the perfect amount of information given and the amount that was withheld. I know that probably seems confusing, but I hate when I'm reading a book and the characters know everything and are being ominous, but in this case, no one knew what was really happening so no one knew more than the reader which was great.

I really adored getting to meet the characters, Hermes was a prick in the way that he was like a spoiled little brat. And I loved how Athena was a badass who seemed a little lost. I couldn't imagine how terrifying it would be knowing that you were immortal and then suddenly, you were dying and you coudn't find out why.

Cassandra and Aidan were my favorites in the whole book. The way that he accepted her and loved her despite having these strange visions. Its always great when you get a relationship thats to wonderfully set up that you don't have the issue of Instalove or even in this case a love triangle. I do wish that we could have gotten to know both Aidan and Cassandra outside of their relationship, but I don't think it is necessary because of how important they are to each other.

I loved the blood and the gore of this book and how Blake did not shy away from the ugly side of the gods. More importantly, I loved how she incorporated all of the different myths and backgrounds of all the Gods into their lives and into how it was leading to their downfall. I know that my sister is going to love using this book in her classroom because it teaches so much more about the Gods and who they were. I cannot wait to see what is going to happen in the next installment of the Goddess war, I just know that its going to be golden.


The Court's Decision:



Nicole

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a few people be disappointed with this book, which was a shame because I was excited to read it...eventually. Glad to see you liked it! The different personalities of the gods are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really love to read this book cause I love Greek mythology but I have an intense dislike of Athena that I don't want to read it. I'm gonna have to subside for it a bit cause Blake wrote Anna Dressed in Blood which I really like. Plus, there is no love triangle. I'm indecisive but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...