Monday, April 29, 2013

Through to You

Author: Emily Hainsworth
Goodreads Rating: 3.78
Pages: 272
Format: ARC


Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He’d give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she’s a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows here there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it’s as if all his wildest dreams have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he’s forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.


This book was a really fast read which was great. I was looking forward to this a lot because  I found the concept so heartbreakingly awesome, I could not wait to dive in.  I always like the idea of parallel universes and seeing how they might work as opposed to what the world that we live in is like. I love to look for the subtle differences because even though that person is you, they aren't. For fans of Fringe, you all know Olivia and FoLivia since she was Fake Olivia, and there was Water and then there was Walternate, the Walter alternate.

I loved how the characters got into the opposing worlds in this book. It was a terrible tragedy that brought Nina and Cam to the same place, for Cam, he lost Viv and for Nina, she lost someone that she loved. After Cam accidentally drags Nina into his world, he learns that there is a different world that Nina lives in, where Vivian is still alive. Even though I knew it was an alternate universe, I think I was expecting a sort of Orpheus and Euridice, which it wasn't.

There weren't that many major differences between the two worlds in terms of what they were like. they were the same world, just with subtle differences. Such as other Cam knowing Nina and how he made other big decisions and how his life changed because of it. The alternate Cam seemed to have a happy life where he was with Liv, and his family was still together.

While I loved this world, we were left with some unanswered questions which, for me was okay. We have this interesting doorway, but the two main characters didn't fight to find out why, they just accepted that it was what it was. They floated their own theories which was great, but in the end we never really learned what it was.

What made me feel unfulfilled was that I felt that we didn't really get to know the characters. There was no depth to Viv, and while I felt we got to know Cam and Nina best, I still felt like we didn't really get to know them. I think I felt the most disconnected from Viv I think. What we did get to see of her was a little bizarre and erratic, and although it seems like the two Viv's are different, you can see what they were like.

It was a really quick read, and I think that if it had been a little longer, it would have been a full four stars.

The Courts Decision:

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...