Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Override (Glitch #2)

Author: Heather Anastasiu
Goodreads Rating: 4.55
Pages: 320
Format: E-ARC from Netgalley

Zoe is free. She has escaped the enslavement of the Community, disconnected from the hardware that had controlled her every thought and emotion, and evaded capture by the Chancellor intent on killing her. She is finally free, but she is far from safe.
Zoe and Adrien hide themselves from detection at the Foundation, an academy that trains teen glitchers to fight in the Resistance movement. Together, Zoe and her new team of superhuman fighters must risk their lives to rescue other glitchers and humans from the Chancellor's control. Challenges abound at every turn, and Adrien, who has become silent, distant, and tormented by his visions of the future, only adds to the growing certainty of defeat. But worst of all, as Zoe's team fights against impossible odds, distrust and betrayal leads to the terrible discovery that their greatest threat could already be lurking behind the safe walls of the Foundation.
Full of high-adrenaline action and shocking twists, Heather Anastasiu's Override is an exciting continuation of this popular young adult trilogy.



Not really sure how to put into words my feeling toward this book. The ending left me with this profound sense of sadness and I’m still not sure what to do about it. I enjoyed the first book in the series, and I think I enjoyed this book as well, but I felt a little let down in this book. Zoe seemed to think “I have feelings that I’m mad at you, but nevermind, lets make out. But now you’re mad at me that I was mad at you?” It seemed like her thought process didn’t quite follow that of a normal person.

From the start of this book I felt like things were a little strange, like making her stay in a  very small room with an air filtration system, one that had a bed that wasn’t long enough for her to lay down on or sit up entirely in bed, but she had a treadmill that pulled out of the wall that she could run on. A few contractions there. To me it felt strange that that was the set up for her, and while I understood she had allergies, that seemed a little extreme. On the topic of allergies, I bought that whole excuse the first book when it was introduced during a super intense moment, but this time I didn’t really buy it. As an allergy sufferer, it just doesn’t seem plausible that this would happen.

I liked that some of the other characters made reappearances like Adrian (but that was expected), but I also really liked the new characters that were introduced. While there were distinct differences between them, they all felt like the same cookie cutter character. I did like Ginni and how she seemed to actually have a past and history, but she also felt incredibly two dimensional. The same goes for Xoel who while she has a deeply emotional scene, it didn’t seem all that genuine and real. I did feel that out of the new characters introduced, Cole had that most character development, and that made him my favorite.

The plot of the second book seemed to be all over the place with different missions and directives, and while it did all serve the overall purpose of getting Zoe closer to the rebellion, it seemed to go nowhere at the same time. I think the biggest problem I had was that it started with Zoe having lost all control over her power and then all the sudden in the middle of the book, it was like she got there again. There was a side explanation of her training with Adrian’s mom for two weeks, but that doesn’t seem like an awful lot of time. For her to go from unable to fend off a pebble to lifting marbles and people in the air seems like an awful short amount of time.

I’m still looking forward to book three though because now I just need to know what is going to happen with Zoe and Adrian and how she is going to manage to protect everyone without spilling blood. I was also annoyed at that. While it was valiant for her to want to not kill anyone and blah blah blah, she seemed to be unable to grasp the concept of this being a war and that people will die, and for every person you refuse to kill the bad guy will kill 5 of your men. Zoe has a lot of growing up to do before the final showdown.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...