Monday, September 24, 2012

Alice in Zombieland

Author: Gena Showalter
Goodreads Rating: 4.44
My Rating: 5 Stars
Pages: 404
Reviewed by: Nicole

I got this book from BEA thanks to Kristan from Lost Amongst The Shelves who dragged me to the Harlequin booth so we could be one of the first 50 people in line to get a copy. It was so worth it once I got to read this bad boy. Beautiful cover and a beautiful inside too.

Goodreads Synopses:

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish. 

It's almost hard to talk about how much I really liked this book. I'm a big zombie fan for real, and this book blew my pants off because its an original zombie story, you heard me, ORIGINAL. This Alice isn't like Alice in Wonderland, there are the aspects to questioning her sanity, following white rabbits and our heroine's name is Alice, but the similarities end there.

This Alice isn't timid, she's kick ass and has (if I can borrow the beloved Kat's term) Lady Balls to the max. I loved being in her head because her narration flowed. It was like you were in her head as she met Cole, the dark mysterious boy that she has a super connection with and as she puzzled over her new friend Kat. I even loved her reactions to her quirky grandparents who tried to be hip!

Alrighty, back on track... The reason I say that this book is original is because the zombie's aren't mindlessly wandering down your street waiting for the next person to walk by, they're spirit zombie which means that its not a physical attack, its spiritual. I liked this because I was totally expecting a zombie mad hatter to be eating people on the streets. I liked that there was this totally new aspect to what and who zombies were. (I also totally just had an epiphany about the mad hatter, but you have to read the book to find out!)

I will admit that the book seemed a little preachy at points about pre-marital sex and a tad about the spiritual plane, but that is easily overlooked when you look at just how awesome and kick ass this book is. There's romance and there's ass kicking, and there is no cursing. All of the characters come to life, Kat is just crazy and Cole is just smoldering. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book and I'm so bummed that I have to wait at least a year before I can have it! Another book that I will for sure be buying.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...