Monday, May 7, 2012

One Moment

Author: Kristina McBride
Goodreads Rating: 4.00
My Rating: 3.75
Pages: 272
Reviewed By: Nicole
Releases: June 26, 2012


I got this book from Netgalley because the premise seemed interesting. I don't know what I would do or how I would even cope with losing my boyfriend, let alone not knowing what happened when you were right there. This book also drove home the idea that all it takes is one moment for everything to change and that sometimes there is nothing that you can do to change it. I also loved the cover, it seems so idyllic which is different from the chaos in the pages.


Goodreads Synopses:


This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of Opposites, One Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.



My review after the jump.
I really did like this book because it made me think. I've always been a what-if kinda girl (I can't let well enough alone) so being forced to think about how I would have reacted was a terrifying experience so you can only imagine how Maggie feels. Especially when she can't remember what happened.


At first you're introduced to everyone that matters in the book which was overwhelming, I was a little confused, but once you fall into knowing who is who then it gets easier. Some of the parts were predictable, (and I won't go into which ones because you need to read it to see) but a few of them did catch me by surprise. Even if you do know whats happening, it is still an exciting journey to follow Maggie and her friends on as they move through the summer after losing their friend.


As far as how these kids did deal with the death, I think that they did very well for the circumstances. The only ones that we really get to explore are Maggie, Joey's girlfriend, and Adam, his best friend. Maggie, does go to see a therapist, but that can be expected since she does had no memory of what happened. 


I did find it somewhat sad to follower Maggie though this journey because the hardest thing about losing someone is learning that they were so different from who you thought they were. Often, after someone dies, they become this glorified person who never did anything wrong, when in this case, all of Joey's missteps and flaws were brought to light because of Maggie investigating what happened.


This was a super quick read because from page one you need to know why and how this happened. It took me maybe about 2 days to read this only because my real job got in the way. But seriously, super quick read. I almost didn't want to to end either because I wanted to see how what happened with Joey would continue to effect her and her future relationships. Since the book covers from about Memorial Day until August-ish, we only get a small glimpse into the long terms effects this is going to have. So when the time comes around you should get this book because it is totally worth the read.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...